Moving to Edinburgh  

Posted by Nicole in ,


A short video tour through my new home. I've bought a lot more stuff so I'll update this video with a more recent one showing all the lovely stuff I have in my room, hehe.

After a terrible sad farewell to Maarten I was on a plane towards Edinburgh. Thanks to the doctor the flight went fine. The only thing is that the pills make me so extremely sleepy I couldn’t do much that day.
The first night we booked an extra room in a hotel for me because I couldn’t sleep in my new room yet. They only had a double room left so I slept in a huge beautiful room. I can’t remember much of that day (I think because of the medicine I took) but we’ve walked through the city and in the end we saw a big firework show at the castle. It was quite special, the firework was timed with the live orchestra in the park. Together it was a beautiful experience and my first day in Edinburgh!

My parents and me visited the castle, the master show at my new school, and of course my new room. They helped me to clean it and went shopping with me for new stuff (thanx guys!). I also meet Joy and Julia, two of the other girls renting it. They’re really sweet and fun.
My first night totally alone wasn’t bad. I was so tired of walking all day that I had no problem sleeping. The second day I stayed inside to get to know the flat, to clean my room some more and to rest. The next day I went shopping. It was a hot day and I’d bought so much stuff I had to go back home because I couldn’t carry any more things. The only thing that’s different from the Netherlands during shopping is that everybody waits in a line. For example; if there are three cash registers in Holland there are three lines, one for every cash register. So you have to guess which one is quick (and I always pick the wrong line). In Scotland (and I guess the UK) there is one big line for all three of them. If it’s your turn you walk to the cash register that’s free. And they do it everywhere this way, even in the supermarkets.
Oh and the supermarkets, that’s also quite different. The street next to were I live has about 4 supermarkets. One that’s open 24/7, a good thing but there’s not much to buy. One that sells only frozen food, so you have a supermarket with only freezers. Kinda weird to see. One supermarket that we also know in Holland; the Lidl. All the stuff they sell is in cans or packed, there’s nothing fresh :s All the supermarkets have like a huge selection of microwave meals! And there’s finaly a supermarket that has actual fruit and vegetables! And good meat! I’ve cooked two times now. It’s difficult to cook for one person. I always make more than I can eat. The other times I’ve made a lazy microwave dinner XD

The rest of my days I stayed home to work on the Droomwevers animation that I still had to finish. After three days of hard work that was done. I’m still waiting for their answer. (got their answer now and they would like some changes to be made if I have some time -_-‘ ).
Today it was a sunny and hot day so I went shopping for clothes. They have so many clothing stores! Though I couldn’t find much. I’ve bought a new trouser, a sweet tshirt and a warm sweater. Tomorrow I’m going to visit the palace I guess. And Julia, my flatmate, has a car and suggested we should go to Ikea some time. I can’t wait ^^
I’ve got mail from my school and my matriculation starts 22th of September (if I’m correct). It’s an introduction week and I guess I hear there when my actual MA would start. So exciting! I hope it’s fun. I’m really feeling at home here in Edinburgh. I have a great time and haven’t been sad (though I miss Maarten much). I think it’s going to work out just fine and I’ll be having a great time here.

My parents are sad because I'm living so far away (NOT!)

[UPDATE]
Today I went to visit Ikea instead of the palace. The weather was rainy so I didn’t feel like walking all day :p Ikea was fun! There’s so much nice cheap stuff and again I went a bit crazy. I’ve bought 2 throws, 2 photoframes, a lot of candles, a laundry basket, a sweet small lamp, and a matras cover (I keep thinking I’m forgetting someting). It was quite a adventure going to Ikea haha. Julia has a small mini and she had to drive left. However she was doing great! I couldn’t imagine me driving left, but hey I’m scared of driving anyway :p We both looked very careful and found our way easy to Ikea.
We came home a bit late for dinner. After unpacking our stuff I called home to tell them about my day. Julia made some pizza and used the oven for the first time. Suddenly there was a big black cloud and it smelled really aweful! I had to hang up and open a window because I couldn’t breathe anymore in the kitchen. And then suddenly the fire alarms went off! What a horrible sound! Our ceilings are very high so we had to grab a pole quick and push some button to switch them off. One fire alarm hasn’t survived.
So that was quite a busy day *sigh*

This entry was posted on Tuesday, September 9 at 10:19 PM and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

5 comments

Anonymous  

ik moet nog steeds een beetje gniffelen om je gekke brandalarmavontuur XD

September 11, 2008 at 12:26 AM

Lovely picture.
Pa

September 11, 2008 at 10:39 PM
Anonymous  

Ja, vooral je vader.
Groetjes,
Ma

September 11, 2008 at 10:50 PM
Anonymous  

hahaha nicje :D geweldig, ik zie je al helemaal staan bij dat brandalarm!

Het klinkt allemaal zo cool, en ziet er vet uit! Ik kom echt snel een x langs.

Liefs, en bis bald!

xx lies

September 11, 2008 at 11:53 PM

Haha, yeah it was quite an adventure. Our landlord Tommy heard the story and fixed the broken alarm. He also wanted to clean the oven for us! We didn't want him to, he already does so much for us. So tommy bought some cleaning stuff and we're going to take care of it ourselves.

September 13, 2008 at 4:14 PM

Post a Comment